Sunday 7 April 2013

Sunbonnet-Sue Quilt

Sunbonnet-Sue Quilt 
Sunbonnet Sue Quilt

This beautiful quilt was embroidered by my late mother ( Ena " Roberts" Goobie) when she was very young. It was to be used as a bedspread and it lived for many years, probably in her trunk. It was passed along to me years later and I put it in my old trunk. Such a shame to have something so lovely hidden away.
When my husband and I opened our home as a Bed and Breakfast in the early 2000's, I asked my sister-in-law (" who is a master quilter" she would very quickly disagree with me ) to turn it into a quilt for our Lavender Room.




 As you can see she did a wonderful job and if you look closely you can see that she quilted an arbour around the lady and  birds and butterflies and flowers surrounding the arbour. The edge of the quilt is done in a lattice pattern to match the garden theme.  
 How lovely is this, the handiwork of two talented ladies, two generations apart, combined to create a thing of beauty, that will last for years to come? How blessed am I to be the keeper of such a treasure?

6 comments:

  1. It's beautiful....what a treasure for sure♥

    blessings,
    Cynthia♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia for the heads up, I wouldn't want anyone to think my mothers name was End. Ha.
      Mom

      Delete
  2. It is lovely!! Thanks for coming by my blog. Your new follower. Looking forward to your posts.

    Margaret from Moving Forward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret for visiting and for your kind words.
      Bernice

      Delete
  3. Hi Bernice,

    So nice to meet you!

    It is truly a beautiful quilt and extra special because of the history behind it. Isn't that something? The talent of your mother and your sister-in-law and you being the lucky recipient!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

Another blog design by
Cottage Remnant